Ooey Gooey Coconut Brownies February 01 2022
It's been almost 10 years since I first shared the recipe for these brownies on my almost redundant Facebook page.
But this week I decided to give the lovely people of Instagram a say on reviving this recipe, or sharing another one with you, my Bakewell Blondies.
The masses spoke and the ooey gooey coconutty brownies are here!
(I promise to come back and add photos of the baking process next time I'm making a batch of these beauties!)
Ok, lets get rid of the elephant in the room. . . . . .coconut. Some of you love it, some of you hate it, heck, some are even allergic to it - so please feel free to omit it from the recipe if you wish, I won't mind. . . . . I mean, I'll mind a little as I LOVE coconut, but as the saying goes 'YOU DO YOU' and we'll get along just fine!
Some people have subbed out the coconut for crushed hazelnuts or marshmallows - so just tweak it til you find something you like <3
The one thing I just love about this recipe is the fact that it uses Cocoa powder for the chocolatiness and not crazy expensive bars of dark chocolate! WIN!! Use whatever cocoa powder you can afford, it doesn't have to be super expensive, but I would avoid using drinking chocolate where possible.
Alrightie then, lets get baking!
- 500g castor sugar
- 250g butter
- 100g cocoa
- 4 eggs (beaten*)
- 100g self raising flour
- 100g dessicated coconut
- In a large saucepan melt the sugar, butter and cocoa together until well mixed and gloriously gloopy! Once melted and mixed, set to one side to chill out a little
- Use said chilling time to locate your square baking tin, you know, that one you bought to make brownies but ya never got round to using?? Yeah. That one. They're usually around 23cm square - line with a piece of greaseproof paper than overhangs two opposite sides, really helps when lifting our decadent bakes once they've cooled.
- Preheat your oven to around 160degC fan (180degC sans fan)
- Add the beaten eggs to the cooled down chocolatey gloop and mix really well. This is like arm day right, here. Make a brownie, avoid the bingo wings. WIN two of the recipe!
(Folks, allow that mix time to get down as close to room temp as you can, ain't no one want scrambled egg brownies! (I mean, I'm sure some person out there would eat them, just don't let it be you!)
- To the now positively lava like chocolate gloop, add the flour and coconut and fold it through with a spatula. Feel the burn in the arms. . . . . soooooo good!
- Pour into your pre-prepared square tin and bake for about 35/40mins. Check the precious chocolatey delight around the 25/30minute mark to make sure it isn't burning, if it is, pop a little greaseproof paper blanket on top to save the brownie!
- Once cooked allow to cool
- Now DON'T panic. It will sink slightly on cooling, but for once, we're embracing the sink! This will result in an uber fudgy centre to our brownie. . . . . *drool*
Couldn't be easier. . . . . .
I know you want to